The design and manufacture of these platforms was also the early fore runner for the oil platforms of today.
The forts are visible from the Kent and Essex coastlines. They were de-commissioned in the 1950's,
but were brought, briefly back into use in the 1960s by pirate radio stations. The forts have stood derelict and disused since then acting as a reminder of the past conflict.